Mac App

Home of the Facts

Forums

Forum Home > Other > regional dialect

Radatz

I was just reading about pecans and saw an amusing sentence describing how the pronunciation varies all through the US. I grew up in NE calling them PEE-cans. My freshman roommate from Dallas heard me and said "a WHAT??" Then he gave me a dour look and said "pi-KAHN" !! Neither pronunciation shown in Wiki seemed to match (though I have trouble reading neo-pronunciationese). So how do you say it? Far as I'm concerned it's still a damn PEE-can (like a urinal).

Then there's 'soda', which seems to be winning the what-do-you-call-soft-drinks wars. Though it's disappearing from usage even around here, we called it 'tonic', as in "Um gonna get a bottla tonic." Turns out it's very original and descriptive. The originals like Coke, Pepsi and Moxie were actually marketed as tonics, i.e. medicines for your stomach. Coke syrup was used for nausea at drug stores when I was a kid (maybe still is?). Worked too. Pepsi had pepsin. Moxie is gentian root, like in bitters. Most bartenders will make you some soda water and bitters if your tummy feels bad. Does anybody else recall 'tonic'?

May 8, 2017 at 2:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ferociousjane

I remember saying it the way you do. But I have used the othe pronunciation as well. 

Wanna start a funny thread? Ask people how they spell it and watch what Scurds comes up with ;) 

--

“There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you.”

May 8, 2017 at 4:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ark_Razor

Them there pi-KANS are grown in TX, so we get pronunciation rights!

Soft drink: West Coast

Tonic: NE

Soda: Confederacy

Pop: Midwest

May 8, 2017 at 9:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vapor5

ark- "Soda: Confederacy"  MD was a border state and we still say soda often, but more and more I hear folks using the brand name of their beverage of choice.

BTW, cocaine  was occasionally referred to as soda back when I was near that   crap.

--

Vap

May 9, 2017 at 6:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ark_Razor

True, vap. However, MD was a slave state- pseudo Confederacy. Gotta love Lincoln declaring marshal law in MD and him not freeing all slaves by the Emancipation Proclamation- only the ones in the true Confederacy. He gets a pass on all of that though in the classrooms b/c it doesn't fit the narrative. The latest "reason" I heard was that they needed to pass an amendment for him to free all slaves. What a joke. North needed the slave labor as much as the South to win the war.

May 12, 2017 at 2:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

vapor5

ark- Don't forget MD wanted to be open for business with both sides . "black market" was ripe, and I ain't talking slaves.

Also, it was called indentured servitude in the North. ;)

--

Vap

May 12, 2017 at 7:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

the immortal scurds

ok lemme see here. it seems to me, it depends on how u use the nuts. if you are talking about a pie, its puhKHAN pie. but if the nut stands alone, its pehkan. if its a whole bunch together, then they are peckins

as far as the drink goes, its pop. not soda, not soft drinks, pop.do u here peepul talk about soft drink cans? no. its a pop can. not a soda can. you americans pronounce the syl AH buls differently, but its pop, and puh KHAN

--

The following sentence is a lie.

The previous sentence is the truth.

May 13, 2017 at 3:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vapor5

scurds- Keep your silly bulls off my soda  can :D

--

Vap

May 14, 2017 at 11:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

the immortal scurds

the boys on the pipeline call it "bubblewater". lol

--