Mac App

Home of the Facts

Forums

Forum Home > Baltimore Orioles > O's return to earth

vapor5

Well, Showalter gave the O's a bump and we're returning to earth. I was vapor 673 @ Sporting News.

August 19, 2010 at 7:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vapor5

Showalter magic is evaporating. I hope he gets to hire his own staff for 2011 and has some input into player personnel decisions.

August 27, 2010 at 10:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mac D
Site Owner

It is tough in the AL East, Yankees and Red Sox buy their players and the Rays sucked for a decade and built up their team. Blue Jays seem to be following what the Rays did and I say 5 years will be able to contend. Hope the O's can build a team

August 27, 2010 at 7:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vapor5

Mac- Yep, the AL East is tough, but the Rays accomplished it in a small market than Baltimore..

I wonder if the MLB has ever considered moving Toronto to the ALC and Cleveland to the ALE.

August 27, 2010 at 9:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mac D
Site Owner

Yeah but Tampa is a recent expansion team with no history so they could suck for a while stock up on high end prospects then contend for years.

The Orioles and Jays have history of winning which makes it hard to build up through the draft especially when the Yanks and Sox buy their team and the fans see it to.

I wouldn't mind seeing some Division changes, even new teams or getting rid of teams (doubt that would happen) so there are even divisions and not 4 in one and 6 in another

August 27, 2010 at 9:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vapor5

Mac- Slightly OT: Was or is there another Canadian city that would support an MLB franchise. Basically could Montreal have been moved in country instead of to DC?

August 29, 2010 at 8:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mac D
Site Owner

Vancouver, we had a AAA team for the Brewers and Angels but it was deemed to far for travel and our weather is too "cold." Now we have Short Season A which gets 6-9 thousand a game only thing is there is no stadium built or space really to build one for an MLB team. Montreal could survive now, the dollar is better but I doubt Selig would go back there.

August 29, 2010 at 9:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vapor5

Mac- Agreed, Montral has a long wait.

August 30, 2010 at 1:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vapor5

Even Mike & Mike (ESPN) commented on the O's who were 17-11 in August and 17-10 under Showalter. Is there light at the end of the tunnel?

September 1, 2010 at 6:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mac D
Site Owner

Maybe, I remember when the Jays finished second in the AL few years back and everyone was all over them to make it next year but they finished 4th. Jays like to tease their fans a lot, hope the O's can make it

September 1, 2010 at 10:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Oat Willie

Mac,

Sure Boston has money, and they've purchased talent, but not all of it. They've also developed a lot of their talent, and starters in particular, in their farm system. Lester, Papelbon, Pedroia, Youkilis, and Bard for example, are all home-grown Red Sox! Another thing, Boston sells out Fenway year-in, and year-out! Their franchise markets the team well, and their fan base

is huge.

I tip my hat to Tampa Bay. Those 'pesky' Rays, as I penned them three-years ago when they were interfering with my BoSox' aspirations to repeat as World Champs, are the 'real-deal!' However, when only 11,000 of their fans show up in their stadium, when their team is tied for the AL East lead, is telling. How many of the Longorias, Crawfords, and Uptons are going to hang around Tampa when their time for free-agency arrives?

Lot's of teams have developed talent, but the successful ones keep them around.

September 5, 2010 at 6:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vapor5

oat - Longoria is tied to a contract through at least 2014 with options for more years.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080418&content_id=2546402&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Also, I hope Showalter's rep impresses some FA's and they sign with the O's.

September 6, 2010 at 11:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mac D
Site Owner

oat -  Talk with the Rays is they want to move to the other side of the Bay to Tampa and not be in St. Petersburg anymore where not a lot of fans are. I think once Jeter, Posada and Rivera go the Yankees will become a diva place and fall back to their pre Torre stature because they have no grown Yankees. But with names of Jeter Posada and Rivera the Red Sox homegrown players don't strike me as leaders like Varitek, Millar, Schilling (though I hear he was an ass) were.

The Rays haven't been around for over a 100 years like Boston and when the Rays came in football was becoming more and more Americas past time while the Sox were in the era when baseball was Americas past time so it is hard for the Rays to outdraw the NFL even when it is not on when they have such a short history. Just my two bits

--

MAC D

September 6, 2010 at 1:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Oat Willie

Vapor~ Thanks for the heads-up on Longoria. Tells me TB isn't stupid. Damn, 2014? He sure would look good in that classic BoSox uni. And, on top of that, he kills us in Fenway. That park was designed for Longoria, and watching him play 81-games there each season would be sweet.

Mac~ Really good point about Rays being so junior to the Yanks and BoSox. But after going to the series a couple of years ago, and following that year with like years, it's still surprising TB fans aren't turning out see a winner.

The Yanks leaders do it quietly, and by example I think. It's the Yankee way. Swisher is a fun-loving character, but a helluva player, he slowly was accepted into their club house. I think their leaders do a lot of the leading behind closed doors.

The Red Sox aren't so stuffy, and though they're still a class organization. In Boston, as long as you produce, characters can be characters! I miss Kevin Millar. We need his leadership to get the rest of the BoSox to "Cowboy Up." Schilling is outspoken, perhaps a little pompous at times, but the guy could pitch well, and especially in the limelight! He could back up his cockiness, and he helped bring a WC to Boston.

I watched in disgust as my BoSox, and Papelbon, imploded again in the top of the ninth to lose a two-run lead, and ultimately the game, losing 7-5 to the Chisox. Watching Papelbon struggling, I wondered how much of it could be attributed to Varitek not being back there anymore. An average hitter, but a 'presence' behind the plate,  Captain Varitek is the undiputed leader of the BoSox! 

You know, I know what you mean about football taking over as America's past time, as I have been going through withdrawl anticipating the start of football season. But I'm still as big a fan of baseball as I was as an 8-year-old falling in love with the Red Sox. The days of grabbing the sports page first thing in the morning to check the box scores and see how your team, or favorite player, had done the night before are gone. With the internet and the ESPN's, it's all a click away now. But, I'm just as passionate for The Red Sox as I am for the Longhorns..

September 6, 2010 at 7:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Oat Willie

Vapor~ I hope to the O's finally turn it around. I grew up watching them owning the AL East. A lot of younger fans have seen the O's suck for so many years, they aren't aware of their storied history.

I was at Game 1 of the 1969 World Series, Vapor. I watched Mike Cuellar outduel Tom Seaver. In 1971,  I got to see that same Oriole team play the Senators in RFK.

I wish you and your Orioles all the best. I'm pulling for Showalter, too.

September 6, 2010 at 8:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vapor5

oat- Lucky dude8) getting to attend a 1969 WS game. I was 10 in 1969 and many Baltimoreans detested New York after our teams lost championship games to the Mets & Jets in 1969.

I did attend one of 1979 WS games between the O's and Pirates @33rd St, Istill change the radio station when We are Family comes on.

September 7, 2010 at 7:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Oat Willie

vapor5 at September 7, 2010 at 7:11 AM

oat- Lucky dude8) getting to attend a 1969 WS game. I was 10 in 1969 and many Baltimoreans detested New York after our teams lost championship games to the Mets & Jets in 1969.

I did attend one of 1979 WS games between the O's and Pirates @33rd St, Istill change the radio station when We are Family comes on.

Yeah, Vapor, I saw my first NFL game on November 1, 1970. The Colts whipped the upstart Miami Dolphins 35-0 in Memorial Stadium. Your Colts went on to win the Super Bowl that season.

It was nice to have attended a WS game...great memories. I distinctly remember lead-off batter Don Buford homering off Seaver in the bottom of the 1st.  Jerry Koosman blanked your O's in Game 2, and the Mets went back to Shea tied 1-1. NY swept games 3-5,  and the series was over by Thursday! 

September 9, 2010 at 4:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

vapor5

oat- Don Buford was  a solid player and you've led me to search for who the O's traded to acquire him. We traded Luis Aparicio, the great fielding SS, back to the Chisox prior to the 1968 season, and it was Belanger time @SS.

September 9, 2010 at 6:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

vapor5

O's (57-88) continue to play hard and may not lose 100.

September 15, 2010 at 7:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mac D
Site Owner

Swept my Jays. Be interesting how many divisions don't have a 100 loss team in it by seasons end

--

MAC D

September 16, 2010 at 11:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.