Home of the Facts

Forums

Forum Home > Baltimore Orioles > O's return to earth

vapor5

mac- Pirates are 48-97 so they'll make it to 100 losses,

September 16, 2010 at 7:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mac D
Site Owner

Looks like Pittsburgh and Seattle ( 91 ) are almost for sures then the pretty close in Baltimore, Cleveland ( 86 ), Kansas City ( 85 ), Arizona ( 88 ) and Washington ( 84 ).

And what about those Rockies pretty much down and out written off only to be pulling off what they did a few years ago.

September 17, 2010 at 12:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vapor5

Mac- Those Rox late season surges are wild to watch but must be tough on their diehard fans.

Koji has been decent as the O's closer, but he gave up a GW HR to ARod last night.

September 18, 2010 at 8:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SATXFAN

vapor5 at September 7, 2010 at 7:11 AM

oat- Lucky dude8) getting to attend a 1969 WS game. I was 10 in 1969 and many Baltimoreans detested New York after our teams lost championship games to the Mets & Jets in 1969.

I did attend one of 1979 WS games between the O's and Pirates @33rd St, Istill change the radio station when We are Family comes on.

"I still change the radio station when We are Family comes on." :mad:

We are brothers from different mothers, I tell ya.

-Tex

September 28, 2010 at 8:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vapor5

tex- Glad you've arrived here.

September 29, 2010 at 7:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

AxnJxn

Tex - good to see you, mate! Long time, no talk.

O's are really playing good ball under Buck. It'll be interesting to see if they can add any pieces in the offseason. Pretty weak FA market - MacPhail is going to have to get creative with a trade if they are going to make the next step.

October 3, 2010 at 12:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vapor5

66-96 is the O's final record. Before Buck arrived I thought we were headed to 110 losses.

axn- I've heard a lot of chatter about the O's signing Carlos Pena, the Rays 1B. MacPhail may have to part with some youngpitchers to get serious talent here

October 3, 2010 at 8:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SATXFAN

How much input do you think Showalter will have in MacPhail's personnel decisions?

He has my confidence.  It weill be hard to argue the point that a manager doesn't make much of a difference in a team's record now.

October 5, 2010 at 9:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vapor5

tex- I suspect Buck negotiated for a lot of say prior to signing a contract, but he's playing it low key publicly. Also, he may keep Allenson, his longtime buddy, but I think the rest of the coaching staff is gone.

October 6, 2010 at 7:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

AxnJxn

Yeah, I'd be shocked if Buck didn't have some decent input into personnel acquisitions. I don't know if Pena is the answer, but it shouldn't hurt to put something into that gaping hole at 1B.

There is talk of them bringing in another Millwood type to lead the staff. I'm not sure what good that is, either. At this point, just let the young arms sink or swim, and let a leader of that staff emerge.

The lack of position players in the minors is really glaring right now. I think you have to move some arms for offense, which was supposed to be the plan all along. We'll see what happens, but I'd be pretty disappointed if this wasn't a fairly active offseason for the O's. They don't have to go overpay for a big stick, but they should go into next year with some holes filled ... and not by someone like Atkins!

October 6, 2010 at 7:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vapor5

axn- Agree on letting the young arms sink or swim.

Also, wouldn't Guthrie qualify as old enough to be the anchor.

October 6, 2010 at 9:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vapor5

O's were once the St Louis Browns  http://vaporvents.blogspot.com/2013/03/babe-ruth-bloomers-scallios.html

--

Vap

April 23, 2016 at 6:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

vapor5

Four game sweep of the Rays was sweet. We still need another starting pitcher.

--

Vap

June 27, 2016 at 7:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

vapor5

O's are close to a four game sweep of the Nats which keeps them in contention so I deceided to look back in history to 8/25/66 game against Cleveland. more here  http://vaporvents.blogspot.com/2013/07/a-disturbing-fifth-of-july.html

--

Vap

August 25, 2016 at 6:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

vapor5

Trumbo hit 47 HR last year but didn't get the huge FA offers. He "settled " for 3yr 37m back with the O's . Probably a good deal for both sides.

--

Vap

January 23, 2017 at 1:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vapor5

Something must be up with Wieters throwing arm for him to settle for a two year deal with the Nats. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nationals-journal/wp/2017/02/21/nationals-sign-matt-wieters-to-one-year-deal-with-2018-option/?utm_term=.f6a094d8db68

--

Vap

February 22, 2017 at 7:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

vapor5

Jones and Machado back from the WBC. Times to focus on the Bosox and BJs

--

Vap

March 25, 2017 at 7:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ark_Razor

Vap, Rad, heard that Adam Jones was subject to racial slurs at Fenway. I have long maintained that BOS may be the most racist city in the country. Thoughts?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2707179-adam-jones-subjected-to-racist-insults-peanuts-thrown-at-him-at-fenway-park

May 2, 2017 at 1:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vapor5

Adam jones is a sensitive lad, married to the daughter of Jean Fugett, former TE for the cowboys and and a bit of a local power broker. AJ considers himself royalty . WTH is he talking about fining the fans?  :roll:  Fans are always wrong throwing items on the field.  I've heard far worse than the N word  at a sporting event. If  someone calls Chris Davis , a cracker, do we see the same headlines?

--

Vap

May 2, 2017 at 1:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ferociousjane

I thought Jones' s comments were on point until he went of the rails with the fining thing. No one wants to hear a rich athlete talk about sticking it to middle class people...regardless of their repugnant behavior.

Orioles have a good team this year again. That east is shaping  up to be something else  with the Yankees bringing it. 

--

“There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you.”

May 2, 2017 at 8:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.