Mac App

Home of the Facts

Forums

Forum Home > Phoenix Coyotes > Coyotes Howl

vapor5

Ark_Razor at January 31, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Oh, the NHL will never permit a franchise in Hamilton unless TOR gets at least $100 million out of the deal. TOR would like to eliminate BUF for that matter.

Didn't Ballisle make an offer for the Sabres in 2011?

--

Vap

January 31, 2013 at 4:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ark_Razor

No. He's gone after the Pens, the Preds, and the Yotes.

January 31, 2013 at 4:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mac D
Site Owner

Here are some comments from Glendales mayor: "I kept my word to Mr. Jamison. If he can't put it together by now I can't see it happening. I have to look after my citizens of Glendale in a way that doesnt sacrifice our future."

Here is a recent piece and one TSN did a while ago. Here's their overview of them all

January 31, 2013 at 4:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vapor5

ark- Must have been rumors I read of Balsillie bidding on the Sabres a few years ago.

--

Vap

January 31, 2013 at 4:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vapor5

mac- I like this quote rom one of the articles in the overview link.

“The future of the league is to go back to where there is a big fan base,” added former Quebec Nordiques CEO Marcel Aubut. “And where is that? It's right in Canada.”

--

Vap

January 31, 2013 at 4:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ark_Razor

First article: Typical journalistic myopia. He's looking at it from the league, forgetting that the Maple Loafs call the shots. No way they are going to give the market up and actually have to work at being good to make money.

Second article: I'm not so sure that the non-hockey properties of MLSE are going to be impacted. I think that is a smoke screen. People are not going to go to TOR to see TOR. There is a specific event. I doubt people who aren't spending money on the Loafs are spending on the B-Jays, Soccer, and the Craptors as a substitute.

Third article: I could not download the videos. The NHL doesn't want Balsillie, I think they could force the Loafs down on the table and drill them a new one if they wanted to. They do only have one vote after all. I could see BUF being more opposed to Hamilton and the like. I can also see American franchises beating the Loafs up b/c in the States, the NHL is the most vulnerable to the Sherman Anti-Trust Act of any of the sports. They do not have the court decision specifically apply to them.

January 31, 2013 at 5:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mac D
Site Owner

There is no legislation saying the Leafs can veto anything. So they can't call all the shots. Most figure the new team will pay a certain amount each year for 5-6 years then that'll be it. At the end of the day it's all about money and the league wants that.

The unique thing in Toronto area is there are 8 million people and only 20,000 can afford the ACC for Leaf games. There are plenty of others that would love to attend a cheaper game. Raptors get lumped together with some of the Leafs tickets and the Jays are setting records as of late. I don't care for the city but they will pay for a winner and hockey.

My personal theory as I said on another thread is the league is going to bolster up with two new Canadian teams. Make their money then shift around American teams and see if they catch on. They can't do any worse.

January 31, 2013 at 9:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ark_Razor

Must see TV tonight: I in PHX right now. On the flight there, there was a guy in a CHI sweater. He said he was flying out to see the Hawks-Yotes b/c it is the first game that Raffi Torres is back from his suspension.

February 7, 2013 at 6:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Galfur

That's a good tip!!!

--

Make America Great Again

February 7, 2013 at 7:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vapor5

Which BHawk gets a good shot at Raffi?

--

Vap

February 7, 2013 at 8:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

the immortal scurds

stu grimson is suiting up for the hawks tonite.

--

The following sentence is a lie.

The previous sentence is the truth.

February 7, 2013 at 9:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ark_Razor

It was actually his 3rd game back, but his first against the Hawks. Didn't matter. So he got a goal. CHI crushed PHX in a defacto home game 6-2.

I think the real fireworks will be when they play in CHI later this year.

February 8, 2013 at 12:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mac D
Site Owner

TSN had a clip dealing with the Coyotes. A Canadian group has been in contact with the NHL and are considered the lead group in purchasing the team. Names are Anthony Leblanc and George Gosbee (head of AltaCorp Capital and Vice Chair of AIMCo, a $70 billion investment fund). Supposed to be close to submitting a proposal...to keep the team in PHX apparently. Seems Seattle will get an expansion team once their arena and NBA team is done. KC wants a 15 year agreement. That seems a little steep.

Quebec City proposal video

March 27, 2013 at 11:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ark_Razor

One thing to remember about KC: AEG owns and operates the building. they also own the Kings.

If the NHL can find a sucker to take the franchise at $140 mil and keep them in PHX, more power to them. Glendale is hoping for no change of course.

March 28, 2013 at 1:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mac D
Site Owner

Live stream of the City Council meeting

July 2, 2013 at 11:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mac D
Site Owner

Glendale city council votes 4-3 in favour of keeping the Coyotes. The meeting was a joke. See if Goldwater shuts it down. An all-time farce of a meeting in which a council member equates a shady investor with brave firefighters who died. I don't care if they stay or not, but the whole process of the night was mind boggling.

July 3, 2013 at 2:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

vapor5

mac- Odious comparison by the council member.

I think Goldwater will nix it.

then there's the Global Spectrum angle

--

Vap

July 3, 2013 at 6:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ark_Razor

So many awful things here.

1. The atmosphere of the meeting as Mac has said.

2. The idea that anybody who is not a resident of the City of Glendale or a one of the contracting parties even be allowed to show up, much less speak or make noise. This is an absolute disgrace.

3. Glendale takes all of the downside and exposes themselves to a worse case scenario than if they had done nothing and just eaten the cost of the arena.

4. PHX is nowhere near a hockey town and is an absolute joke on this front also. If the fans are not going to support the club when they are one of the final four in 2012, they sure as heck will not support the club unless they make it to the Finals.

5. The arena is out in the middle of nowhere- which matters if you are not playing FB in the state.

6. Goldwater will likely lay low. Parking revs are not specifically dedicated in this deal and (if I remember specifics correctly), the deal is a true leasing deal (even though the purchase will not occur unless the deal is approved). We can argue about whether or not it is a good deal; but that is for another day to be decided at the ballot box.

7. As with the NCAA and college sports, the populace is waking up and smelling the coffee on public funding of entertainment for events that are only within the reach of corporations and wealthy citizens. 

Next up: I'm waiting for the war to start against Title IX and seeing if most NCAA schools have the huevos to kill off all sports. Even CFB is not funding all of the mandated women's programs. I look for Vanderbilt as the first test case or Rice. In terms of state schools, Rutgers and Colorado are in the line of fire.

July 3, 2013 at 7:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vapor5

ark- Amen on # 2

--

Vap

July 3, 2013 at 8:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mac D
Site Owner

Good stuff Ark, I was laughing and smacking my head at certain things.

I jotted down some notes from last night:

Bettman was applauded...read that again.

Glendale lawyer: What if revenue projections don't meet budget and they don't leave? The city is stuck. (could have saved time ending it there)

The largest newspaper in Arizona (the Republic) doesn't even travel with the Coyotes to cover them. The Arizona Central and beat writer Sarah McLellan is the go to person.

Three speakers, three non-residents pandering to the council to have Glendale residents shoulder the monetary burden for their entertainment.

A member of the council did not apparently get that if the out-clause remained in the lease there will be no purchase agreement.

Glendale city manager: "The city is not the business of taking risks with public funds. I believe this is a bad business deal for Glendale." Why people never listen to these guys (city managers, developers, planners) is beyond me.

Arizona Coyotes will be the new name.

If Glendale loses money and the Coyotes leave, RSE will make the city "whole" when they leave and cover all the losses. If the team leaves in 5 years it would pay Glendale lost revenue short of $6 million a year. (Counter the out-clause deal).

The Predators and the city of Nashville have an out-clause.

Council member: "This is not a perfect deal by any means but certainly the best deal we've had." (Then why sign a not perfect deal? Isn't that the point?)

In response to the call for guaranteed revenue, one speaker said: "The only thing I can guarantee is that I'm going to be black, pay taxes and die."

Today Ken Jones has apparently filed his referendum paperwork in Glendale to challenge the Coyotes deal. (Yaaaaaaay)

July 3, 2013 at 10:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.